Those who know me, usually ask me what’s inside that black box sitting next to my desk? In other words, what parts am I using in my PC as a graphic designer/gamer? If you’re someone like me, then this post should shed more light on what to seek when shopping for your rig.
My system is actually a work in progress. I’ve started building it about a year ago and gradually adding and upgrading the required parts depending on my financial balance.
I bought a basic setup that consisted of a few essential parts.
- Processor: Intel Core i5 6400 2.7 GHz (4 cores 4 threads)
- RAM: 4 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400 Mhz
- Motherboard: Gigabyte Sniper B7 (I chose this board for specific reasons. One, it was within my budget and two, it had m.2 slot)
- Primary Storage: 320 GB Toshiba 7200 RPM
- PSU: A Non-branded 500W junk
- Casing: Space (I don’t know the model)
This was all I could afford at the time, and this added up to 20 grand. No keyboard, mouse, and monitor.
Here & Now
Over time, I got my hands on various parts but only could afford one thing at a time. But these are the parts I could add/replace over a span of 5 months after purchasing the machine.
- Processor: Intel Core i5 6500 3.2 GHz (4 cores 4 threads)
- RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400 Mhz (2 sticks)
- Primary Storage: 240 GB Samsung EVO 960 NVMe SSD
- Secondary Storage: 1 TB Samsung 7200 RPM
- PSU: 450W Corsair VS
- Graphics Card: 6 GB Zotac GTX 1060 Mini
- Keyboard/Mouse: Rapoo Wireless Keyboard/Mouse Combo
- Monitor: HP 22es FHD
This, of course, is far from an actual gaming rig, but it gets the job done really well. I can play most AAA games on high settings and get away with smooth frame rates.
I had a certain type of build in my mind when I first started. Still a budget build though. Here are a few things that I aim to get, mostly because they’re in my range of affordability.
- Processor: Intel Core i7 8700 (6 cores 6 threads)
- Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B360i Mini ITX
- Monitor: Viewsonic 32″ VX3276 2K-MHD
I targeted these products as both, a designer and a gamer. In my twisted opinion, I think these f***ers should be able to smoothly drag me across a few years. What’s your opinion though? Let me know in the comments.